Happy Friday guys! Today’s post is more of a personal one – I hope you’re okay with it. 😉 Daniel and I recently had the chance to do a kind of spontaneous, impromptu lifestyle shoot with a local photographer here in Phoenix (her name is Chelsey Herrera, and she is amazing!), and we decided to jump on the opportunity. While we may not always be the most photogenic or model-esque in front of the camera, we realized it’s been almost 5 years since we actually had any sort of *nice* photos taken together, so we figured that it was kind of long overdue at this point. Seriously – the last time we had professional photos done together was at our wedding…time freakin’ FLIES you guys! Lucky for you, we were able to act like (semi) normal people long enough to document it. Ha!
Coussie’s little worried face in this photo is probably my favorite thing ever. I just want to crush him and kiss him all at once. Ahhh! Little buddy. Anyway, these photos (and the fact that this Fall marks 9 years of us being together), got me thinking. I used to think that whenever you’d hear people talk about their spouses and they’d say things like, “I love them more now than I did the day I married them!” that it was just something they said because it sounded good – like it was the right thing to say. Because, if anything, relationships can get harder the longer we’re in them right? Love requires work. It isn’t effortless. But, after 9 years of being together, I can honestly say I’m starting to understand the sentiment. Maybe things stop being shiny and new, but they become comfortable. Familiar. A constant. They bear weight, and are worth the effort required to maintain and sustain them. And you become known. So much so, that if I tried to remove Daniel from my life at this point, it seems like everything else would unravel in the process, because of how integrated we are in eachother’s lives.
So, this is what our love looks like. It isn’t perfect, it certainly isn’t always serious – but it’s ours. And in honor of these beautiful photos and our love turning 9, I thought I’d share a couple things that I’ve learned about this guy and about our relationship together.
- He will always have nicer hair than me – and with ZERO effort, I might add!
- If we’re listening to music together, it’s almost a guarantee that we will start whistling at the exact same time. It’s honestly so strange…but funny every time.
- His ability to see the good in everything and everyone never ceases to amaze (and at times, annoy) me.
- He is unparalleled in patience and selflessness.
- He can whip up the best meals when I feel like we have absolutely no food in the house at all (I always think of this one time in particular when we were first married and living in FL – I was craving baked ziti like crazy and he somehow managed to throw some together at 1AM. I think that will forever go down in history as one of the best meals I’ve ever eaten!).
- He talks in his sleep often enough that I’m used to it. We have some of the funniest recordings of things he’s said in his sleep because of an app called sleeptalk – if you’re a chatty sleeper I would 10/10 recommend downloading it, and then enjoying the inevitable and strange nonsense that you say in your sleep!
- There’s no one else I’d rather do life with, day in and day out.
I hope you’re inspired to go kiss the one you love, and if you happen to be local to Phoenix, definitely check out Chelsey Herrera the next time you’re in need of some photos! I will treasure these photos for many years to come, and I definitely think it’s worth the investment to have these kind of mementos to look back on.
What’s one of your favorite things about your *special someone*? Maybe they make the world’s best omelettes, or they always sing your favorite song in the shower? I’d love to hear all about it below!